Sunday, June 10, 2012

Poopin' Buffaloes



I do many things to squeeze the nickel until the buffalo poops! One of the things I do is coupon. I use two websites that help me to do this. My favorite is Moneysavingmom.com  the other is Hip2Save.com. These two women work tirelessly to help others get the most bang for their hard earned dollars. They each have a host of tools to help you stay on track with your money.Their sites help the (savings illiterate) newbies to carefully navigate the confusing world of coupons and stock piling. I encourage anyone who wants to save money, to check out these sites. It is well worth your time. 


Anyone who wants to save money must learn this cardinal lesson. TIME IS MONEY! Another, rule that must be adhered to is SAVINGS DO NOT PUT THEMSELVES IN YOUR SHOPPING CART! If you want to save money you are going to have to work at it. It takes a while to get into the groove of shopping for a week at a time instead of night-by-night. However, like anything that is important if it is important you will find a way. If not you will find an excuse. 


Nothing makes me crazier than to hear people say "I don't have time to save money." or "I'm not smart with math." Well listen up honey, neither am I! I had a tutor in high school && in college! However, I have redeemed myself by saving my dad so much money now! Redemption is sweet!  Saying you don't have time to save money is fine, if you like lighting money on fire. I get my Sunday papers on Saturday. I get the Weekend Journal bc it is .50 cents cheaper than the Indy Star && has the Red Plum insert. It's only .50 cents what's the big deal? Well, If I buy at least two papers a week that saves me $1 a week. 52 weeks in a year. That is at least $52, sometimes I will buy more than two papers. That meager $52 will pay my water bill twice! 


The key to saving money isn't to  be these extreme couponers (HOARDERS!) No human needs to buy 90 bottles of Tide. Half of the time these people will say "Oh baby, I done got me 85 bottles of body wash for free!" "No I can't use that kind bc I'm allergic real bad. I will break out into hives if it makes contact with my skin, but they was free." (*crosses eyes* for more than one reason) Here is an example. CVS has the  Charmin toilet paper on sale. If you buy $30 of it you will get $10 in ECB back. This is actually a very good deal. No coupons needed for this, just scan your Extra care card. It is free to sign up. You give them the TP and money. Then something AMAZING happens! They give you back money for  their store. This isn't cash, it is strictly money for their store. However, you can use this to turn around and buy something else in CVS!


Another tip in this saving money game is to not compare yourself to other people. I have found this to be most helpful in my savings journey. If I compare myself to what you  have I won't be happy. If you compare yourself to me you won't be happy. Moral of the story be thankful for what is on your table. This is hard pill to swallow. Something I work on every single day. I do believe it is the Devil that whispers you aren't happy until you have that fancy car. Or those sexy high heels with the shiny red bottoms. (Christian Louboutins are thousands of dollars a pair) *Gasp* a few of those could pay for Columbia! Stop putting happiness into STUFF and THINGS. I promise you, STUFF && THINGS do not a happy life make. Shhhhh all of you that say "Stephanie, you are exactly right! However, I would rather cry in my Bentley than my Gremlin!" 


This is a topic I could spend a lifetime on. This is just the tip of the iceberg for all of this world of savings and making your own face wash! These websites should help you get going on your savings journey. I am always  a phone call, text, or email away. 


A few things that will also help  you get poopin' buffalos is (Remember the ADD?) always write down what you are going to buy. Also, write down whatever coupons you will be using. This tip is CRITICAL for everybody. Take stock of what you already have. If your pantry has 50 can of green beans stock up on corn this week. After you have looked at all you have, say two prayers. One being thankful for all you have. Another is for everyone that doesn't.  I started doing this along time ago. I pray two prayers when I  drive by Lutheran hospital. It is a long story, however, the key element is a thankful heart. Every time I pass that hospital, I thank the Lord for still having my dad around. I also say a prayer for everyone who is on the other side of that door praying for their loved ones.  


Rest assured there will be many more posts on saving money and all kinds of other wonderful topics. This should get you not the right path! Thank you all for reading the wonderful comments,texts, emails, and support you have all shown me! I love you all && I am BEYOND thrilled that we are all in this together. 

1 comment:

Taye Gerber said...

love, love, love it! especially the 2 prayers (pantry and hospital). it is really great to be reminded of the power of our prayers... and how many things we have to be thankful for!! love you girly!!!